Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Less is More!!!

A a few weeks ago I posted about making my kitchen the perfect minimalist kitchen.  Since then I have had lots of people ask me how exactly I organize things as I pare it down.  With last weeks post about healthy eating, I thought I would start by showing you my snack/cereal cupboard that we have made it to an efficient and fast way to get healthy snacks and cereal.

Ted and I count every calorie we eat.  It took me almost 2 years to get on board with this (Ted has been literally doing this for years), but I have been doing it for the past 2 months and can't believe the change I have seen!  Not just in my physical appearance but mostly in my energy and how great I feel.  The first 2 weeks were the hardest!  But after I got through those it has just become habit to measure and track everything I eat.  Ted is happy he finally has someone who understands how it feels to go to family parties or out to eat.....honestly I never knew how poorly I was eating!  Things I thought were high in calorie weren't and things I thought might not be that bad were way worse!

This is our cereal/snack cupboard.  The top shelf is cereal and the lower shelf is full of low calorie snacks with a place for easy access measuring cups.  

The cereal containers I bought at The Container Store .  The trick to finding good containers is really  personal preference.  For us we needed something with a wide lid you can dip a measuring cup in, but I also need something my hands can open easily (I don't have much feeling left in my hand do to my blood disease), so I needed something I could easily open by myself but would still be air tight.  I cut off the cereal nutrition label and stick it in there so we know the serving size and calorie count.  This container holds a little more than 2 boxes of cereal.  

Nice and easy to use! Especially when I am still groggy in the morning!

 For the snack cupboard I got my containers at Ikea.  I love that they have tall and small ones.  

With the nuts and smaller items I always try to pre measure then into little baggies and make sure that the calories and measurement are on them.  That way if I am running out the door I have something to grab.  I don't always have time to do this but it helps a lot!  (Can you believe 1/4 cup almonds is 170 calories!  I couldn't!)

I have a set of measuring cups that I bought specifically for this cupboard.  They are not used for anything else.  I just quickly wipe them down once a day since they only measure dry foods.  

So there you have it!  Our snack cupboard that not only is easy to use but makes eating healthy that much easier and painless!  

Next week I'll show you my inside my refrigerator, I have amazing containers I pour our milk and juice into that are easier for my hands to pour out of and just look so much nicer!  

Remember LESS IS MORE! :)  

3 comments:

  1. What has Ted turned you into! haha Less is more only applies to the kitchen not the closet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This looks amazing. I need you to come organize my kitchen! Just found your blog and I LOVE IT!!

    ReplyDelete