Thursday, June 14, 2012

Easy Salmon Recipe

I posted a picture of a Salmon dinner I made a few weeks ago on instagram and Facebook and several people have asked for the recipe.  So here you go!  

Salmon isn't either Ted or I's favorite dish, but we eat, especially on a night when we don't have very many calories left.  I always have to pair the fish with a side dish or two to take my mind of actually eating fish! Ha ha!

This time I steamed some fresh squash and added a side of baked sweet potatoes.  

Baked Salmon:
Salmon is a really easy dish to throw together.  I but individually wrapped frozen salmons and keep they when I need a fast dish.  

2 salmon fillets thawed (I put mine in a bowl of cold water for an hour to thaw)
light cooking spray
Italian Spices
Salt 
Pepper

-Preheat oven to 350 degrees
-Place thawed fillets in a square baking dish lined with foil for an easy clean up.
-Salt and Pepper generously
-Lightly spray with the light cooking spray
-Season with mixed italian spices (I buy an italian season mix), do not over season you just need a little bit of this seasoning
- Bake for 10 minutes per inches the fish is thick.  I always use thin fillets so I bake for 8-10 minutes.  You know it is done when the fish flakes with a fork, the fish may not be completely white but if it has cooked the 10 minutes trust yourself and take it out.  There is nothing worse than over cooked fish!  It is also one of the safest meats to eat a little undercooked, unlike chicken.  

Steamed Squash:
For this I simply slice the squash and put it in a steam basket over boiling water for 4-6 minutes until it is still slight firm.  To keep calories low I never use butter, I just salt and pepper mine.  

Backed Sweet Potatoes:
This is so simple and one of our favorites!  Just cub 2-3 sweet potatoes and place on a cookie sheet lined with tin foil and sprayed with light cooking spray (tin foil for easy clean up).  I then spray the tops of the sweet potatoes lightly with the cooking spray and then simply season it with salt and pepper.  I bake at 400 for about 30 minutes or until tender when poked with a fork.

ENJOY!

This is such a simple and healthy meal.  I have had to stop using butter to keep the fat down as well as the calories, so I resort to using a little cooking spray in order to still make the food stay moist.  

What is your favorite healthy go to dish???

2 comments:

  1. Stephanie what do you use to figure out calories in all your food?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, I use a website called my fitness pal http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ It is free and really easy to use. The best part is they have a free ap for my phone. We always put our calories in before we eat, but it is so easy to use they have all sorts of restaurants and regular foods. If it isn't on there then we have to look on the labels and enter it, but I can't say enough of this site! It is amazing! You can create common meals you eat so every time you just have to click on button to add it. It makes calorie counting actually doable! The fist 1-2 weeks were so hard for me, but now that I am use to it is just habit!

    ReplyDelete