Friday, August 3, 2012

Myth Busting Pinterest!!!

Happy Friday! I am so glad it is Friday!  Mostly because I have been doing a ton of hot yoga...and my husband has finally succumbed to my pleading and is going to try it tomorrow!  ha ha!  This is a day for the history books.  I use to teach Yoga (not hot) and he has never come to a class.....so I am excited to show him my new obsession....and see if he can take the heat!

I love myth busting pinterest.  I started it because I was extremely skeptical of all the tricks and cleaning advice I saw.  No way could it be true!  Well so far only a few have been wrong and I am definitely excited to keep testing new pins!  Let me know if you have any you have tried or want me to try!  Check out the old Myth Busting posts here.
_______________________________________________________________________

Pin #1
I have been wanting to try this one for a long time!  

"Crisco Emergency Candle.  Just put a wick in it and it will last for about 45 days"

Now I didn't want a candle burning for 45 days in my house...but I tried it for a few hours and low and behold it worked!  I just didn't think it would even burn...I was wrong!  I bought a wick from the craft store and pushed it to the bottom of the small crisco I bought (I didn't want to buy a huge one since I didn't want it to burn for days.)  I covered the wik back up and lit it!  Pretty amazing!  The best part for me is that crisco is a great item for food storage...but now it has another use if need be it can double as a light!  Pretty awesome!


My Crisco candle.  

Result: Worked for the few hours I tried it.  Need to put in my emergency kit and in my food storage!
_______________________________________________________________________

Pin #2 
Pin #2 and #3 I used together to give myself a little pedicure :)

"The power of vinegar...soaking feet in vinegar (apple cider being best) is a great remedy for many problems like toenail fungus, dry feet, tired feet, etc. ..here are some vinegar foot soaks that will help feet be soft and supple."

I was really excited to try this one.  I have such dry feet (thanks mom for the dry feet genes...) so I was hoping this would work! 
Wishing I had pretty feet like the original pin ha ha!  

Ok so I will never do this again.  The thing they don't tell you is you have to sit there for 45 minutes to make it work.  My feet do feel smoother...but sitting there for 45 minutes with my feet in warm water that turned cold and made my feet super wrinkly wasn't much fun.  So this is a no go for me.

Result:  Kinda worked, won't try it again

_______________________________________________________________________

Pin #3
Since I painted my nails the night before and not only did they look horrible but I went to hot yoga and got them all messed up....I was excited to try this new pin and hoped it would help me....I have no feeling in my hands, from my disease, so when I paint my nails the sides are always a mess....



I really liked this trick.  It worked really well.  I am not going to show you an after picture because my nails since are nothing great...but it helped clean up around the edges of my nails and made it a lot faster and didn't pull up the paint on my nails when I rubbed off the extra polish.

Results:  Worked, will always use this trick!

_______________________________________________________________________

Let me know if you try any pins or have any
 pins you want me to myth bust!  

Have a great weekend!!



1 comment:

  1. Love the toenail painting tip. And here a good alternative to the vinegar soak. Buy a product called Callous Remover at Sally's. Soak feet in warm water for about 10 minutes (eating chocolate during that time helps, too) and then apply the product, put each foot into a large Zip-Loc bag with a rubber band around the top (so it is nice and humid in there)Wait 5-10 minutes, and scrub off with one of those real abrasive scrubbers you can get at Sally's--cheap! Mine is purple. This is the best and most effective pedicure I have ever had. And it's so easy!!!!

    ReplyDelete