Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Myth Busting Pinterest!

Hope you are all having a great week!  It is so so hot here!  I usually love Arziona summers but the last few days have killed me!  My husband and I are off to Malibu tomorrow( I need the cool break) for his last weekend classes for his Doctorate at Pepperdine!  I am so proud of him!  Only the big dissertation left!

Last week my husband and I were sitting in bed each surfing the internet, he was on some manly site like Art of Manliness and I of course was on Pinterest.  I think he got tired of me saying over and over, that is so cool, or there is no way that is true!  He finally said why don't you find out....why don't you see if any of these pins are even accurate!  And there was born my new weekly posts: Myth Busting Pinterest!  

Every week I will myth bust some of the pins I have seen or you have asked me to myth bust!  Here are the first 2 pin myths that I got to the bottom of!


Pin #1

This pin claims that if you put an ice cube on a furniture indent on your carpet and it (them) melt, the indent will go away.  Original Pin 

Before

During

 Ice Cub Stealer...

After, it worked!  I just had to fluff the carpet a little.  Amazing!

Pin #2:
This pin claims to be "a skinny oreo shake with 118 calories.  Original Pin

Here are the listed contents of the shake.  I have looked up the calories of each item and put it next to them.  This shake is low calorie...but not 118 calories!

1 cup 1% milk = 103 calories
2.5 reduced fat oreos = 116.6 calories
1 tablespoon instant vanilla pudding mix = 18 calories
1 pkg splenda or equal = 0 calories
1.5 cups ice
__________________
Total calories = 237.6

However this makes 2 servings so that is 118.6 calories!  I was extremely surprised to see this was true!  Don't know how it tastes...I can't buy a bag of oreos without eating all of them so I will have to see if any of you try it!  

2 for 2 this week!  I am surprised and impressed!

Have any pins you want myth busted?  Email or leave a comment below and we will figure it out!


4 comments:

  1. I LOVE IT!!!! I noticed your board MYTHS and was worried you had already debonked them all!! Glad to know some of these actually work. I've been making a list of the recipes that are good and the ones that are not so great!! So far the shrimp recipe with the lemons is TO DIE FOR...best shrimp I've ever had...and I used frozen shrimp even!! Looking forward to these posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, I'm glad to see that the 'healthy' shake one is true after all. I will have to give that one a shot! Thanks Stef! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Niki that is so funny you noticed! If any of you want a pin tried out on myth busters comment on the pin or email me it! I have a board full of myths I want to find out if they are true or not!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually tested two Pinterest cleaning "miracles" this week! I tried the one where you float a piece of Mr. Clean magic eraser in the toilet ball over night and then in the morning it is clean. Verdict- it was clean under the water, but of course, not above the water line... so not really effective. 2)1/2 cup vinegar (heated in microwave for 90 seconds) with 1/2 cup dishwashing liquid. Mix together in spray bottle then spray in bathtub let sit for 1 to 2 hours then wipe away with cloth and rinse. This actually worked nicely in my kids bathtub. I did not have to scrub at the "ring around the tub" it just wiped away. So, 1 out of 2 isn't bad, right? :)Deetz from cookiesandkiddos.com

    ReplyDelete