If you have never tried Quinoa it is amazing. Quinoa is a grain, but is not considered a true grain it is most closely related to beets and spinach...and is a super food and is full of protein and good vitamins.
This recipe was so tastey! I will make this a lot! There are lots of extras which was great to send to work with Ted for lunch and we still have more left!
It isn't a fast recipe but wasn't too hard, just took some time to cook the Quinoa and chop all the ingredients. Below is the link to the orignial recipe and also I am posting the recipe how I made it (I always make a few changes) the origianl recipe had tofu but we don't love tofu so I omitted it and did a few more tweaks :)
Black Bean-Quinoa Salad with Basil-Lemon Dressing
Click here for original recipe
Here is how I made it:
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked quinoa
- 3 cups organic vegetable broth (such as Swanson Certified Organic)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil (the original calls for double but I just added what came in the package from the store and it was plenty so about a half cup)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons garlic cloves, minced (I buy the canned fresh minced garlic in the produce section)
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen baby lima beans
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot (this is about 1-2 full sized carrots chopped)
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- *Combine quinoa and vegetable broth in a saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until broth is absorbed and quinoa is tender. Remove from heat.
- *Combine remaining 2 tablespoons oil, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, basil, and next 6 ingredients (through garlic) in a large bowl; stir with a whisk until blended. Stir in quinoa.
- *Cook lima beans according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Cool completely. Add the lima beans, green onions, chopped carrot, and black beans to quinoa mixture; stir gently to combine. Store, covered, in refrigerator until chilled (about 2 hours).
- *Right before I served mine for dinner I added another tablespoon or two of lemon juice to freshen it up.
YUMMMM! I might go snack on this right now! Super healthy, super tasty!