Thursday, December 20, 2012

Quinoa Recipe

Last night I posted a picture on instagram of what I made for dinner....several people have emailed me and commented on my post asking for the recipe. So here you go!

If you have never tried Quinoa it is amazing.  Quinoa is a grain, but is not considered a true grain it is most closely related to beets and spinach...and is a super food and is full of protein and good vitamins.  

This recipe was so tastey!  I will make this a lot!  There are lots of extras which was great to send to work with Ted for lunch and we still have more left!  

It isn't a fast recipe but wasn't too hard, just took some time to cook the Quinoa and chop all the ingredients.  Below is the link to the orignial recipe and also I am posting the recipe how I made it (I always make a few changes) the origianl recipe had tofu but we don't love tofu so I omitted it and did a few more tweaks :)

ENJOY!

Black Bean-Quinoa Salad with Basil-Lemon Dressing

Click here for original recipe

Here is how I made it:
  • Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups uncooked quinoa
  • 3 cups organic vegetable broth (such as Swanson Certified Organic) 
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil (the original calls for double but I just added what came in the package from the store and it was plenty so about a half cup)
  • 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons garlic cloves, minced (I buy the canned fresh minced garlic in the produce section)
  • (10-ounce) package frozen baby lima beans
  • 1/2 cup sliced green onions
  • 1/2 cup chopped carrot (this is about 1-2 full sized carrots chopped)
  • (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained

  • Directions
  • *Combine quinoa and vegetable broth in a saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until broth is absorbed and quinoa is tender. Remove from heat.
  • *Combine remaining 2 tablespoons oil, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, basil, and next 6 ingredients (through garlic) in a large bowl; stir with a whisk until blended. Stir in quinoa.
  • *Cook lima beans according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Cool completely. Add the lima beans, green onions, chopped carrot, and black beans to quinoa mixture; stir gently to combine. Store, covered, in refrigerator until chilled (about 2 hours).
  • *Right before I served mine for dinner I added another tablespoon or two of lemon juice to freshen it up.
YUMMMM!  I might go snack on this right now!  Super healthy, super tasty!  
ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment