Friday, May 11, 2012

Red Velvet Cake

My Red Velvet Cake is one of my more requested cakes.  The recipe can be used for either cake or cupcakes it is interchangeable!  

I have one very special ingredient in my cake...BEETS!  When red velvet first was invented in the 1920's the way the coco powder and baking powder was processed back then made the combination of the two turn red.  After World War II, they started processing foods differently and they lost the red color from the combination of ingredients.  Not having food coloring, local bakeries had to figure out something to keep their red velvet cake alive....that's when they used beets.  I use both beets and food coloring.  I use the beets to add the moisture and the extra food coloring makes a great red.  Honestly this cake is so moist and tasty!  Then you add the cream cheese frosting on top and you have a perfect combo!

Tune in tomorrow for my cream cheese frosting recipe!

Red Velvet Cupcakes 
2.5 cups Flour
2 cups Sugar
1 Teaspoon baking soda
1 Teaspoon baking powder
Dash of Salt
4 Tablespoon cocoa powder
1 Cup Oil
1 Cup pureed beets
1 Cup butter milk
2 Eggs
Red Food Coloring to personal taste
1 Teaspoon Vinegar
2 TablespoonVanilla (at least if not more!)

BEETS:
For the beets I use reel beets from the produce section but you might be able to use canned.  I quarter the beets with the skin still on and boil them in a big pot.  I need 3 beets for every recipe you will have some left over, I puree a lot at once and then freeze them in 1 cup increments to I don't have to puree them all the time.  After you boil them save some of the water you boiled them in and drain.  Skin the beets after they have cooled and put them in a blender with about a half cup of the beet water (this will help them retain the red coloring).  Blend them up and add more water if they are still to thick, they should be about as thick as apple sauce.  

CAKE:
Instructions: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 (12-cup) muffin pans with cupcake papers.

1.  In a medium mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cocoa powder.  Set aside.

2.  In a large bowl gently beat together the oil, buttermilk, eggs, food coloring, vinegar, and vanilla with an electric mixer (beat for at least 2 minutes all together and 1 minute after each egg is added at least 4min total).  

3.  Add sugar to wet ingredients and beat.

4.   Add the sifted dry ingredients to the wet and mix until smooth and thoroughly combined.  It will be pretty red.  Below is with a whole bottle of red food coloring, it bakes out a lot so if you want a really red cake add 2 bottles.  

Cupcakes
Divide the batter evenly among the cupcake tins about 2/3 filled. Bake in oven for about 20 to 22 minutes (my new oven takes 15 min), turning the pans once, half way through. Test the cupcakes with a toothpick for doneness. Remove from oven and cool completely before frosting.

Cakes
Divide the batter into 3 - 9 inch round cakes pans.  Instead of oiling and using flour to help it not stick, I use oil and coco powder, it has the same effect as the flour it is just the same color as the darker cake so the bottom of your cake is brown not white.  Don't worry the cakes aren't burnt!  I cook for about 19 min, but I test a a lot after the top looks firm.  After about 15 minutes I watch very carefully, if you over cook any cake it will not be as moist.  


Frost and Enjoy!!

While here in DC I was able to make this red velvet cake for my niece's 1st birthday!  Not a great pic because all she wanted was the candle on top!

She LOVED the cake!  

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SCARLET!!  The cutest baby in the world!  

No comments:

Post a Comment